Our Green Story
Having won multiple sustainability awards and retaining the title of Zanzibar’s Greenest Hotel. The Hotel Verde Zanzibar design has sustainability at its core.
Not only is the building sustainable, but green principles, processes and measures ensure all operations are eco-friendly and continually assessed for improvement.
Here’s a brief overview of our sustainable features: Green factors featured prominently in the development of Hotel Verde Zanzibar – Azam Luxury Resort and Spa, combining five-star luxury with sustainability. We considered numerous elements – from regenerative drive elevators, to responsibly sourced furniture and products and many more.
- LED low-watt lighting
- Sophisticated heating, ventilation and air-conditioning system to reduce energy consumption
- Renewable energy generation
- During design and construction, the project has followed the criteria of the Green Building Council of South Africa and is pursuing 5-star certification
- Regenerative drive elevators
- Responsibly sourced, recycled and eco-friendly furniture and products used where feasible
- Grey and black water recycling systems installed
- Recycling greywater from showers for use in toilet cisterns
- Blackwater (from toilets) used for irrigation, saving thousands of litres of water
All waste sorted on site and, where possible, recycled
- Venues have separate bins for items that can be recycled
- Eco-friendly stationery, recycled paper
- Energy-efficient air-conditioning, lighting and technology
- Sustainable procurement – conscious purchasing decisions
- Recycling and waste management
Verdinos are our in-house currency, rewarding you for being involved in our hotel’s sustainability and making green choices. One Verdino is equivalent to $1.
Ways to earn Verdinos:
- Using the stairs instead of the lift
- Correctly sorting waste rooms
- Reusing towels and linen more than once
- Choosing not to use the additional pillows available
- Using the power-generating equipment in the gym
- Taking a walk or jogging to the Marina and back
Ways to spend Verdinos:
- Buy a cup of coffee at the Vanilla Lounge
- Put it towards your bill when you check out
- Use towards your bill at Roystonea Restaurant
Our Green Environment
Hotel Verde Zanzibar’s achievements in terms of sustainability are the result of a holistic design process with sustainability at its core.
How Green is Your Room?
Guests are encouraged to reuse towels where possible
Waste separated for recycling
Responsibly sourced furniture and other products
A grey- and blackwater plant implemented for water treatment
Grey water from showers recycled for use in the toilet cisterns
LED low-watt lighting and a sophisticated heating, ventilation and air-conditioning system to reduce energy consumption